Here’s a fresh and crunchy kale salad with a double dose of sesame (tahini and seeds). Did you know that sesame seeds are a good source of calcium? This salad goes with just about any kind of meal — bean and grain dishes, stews, chilies, veggie burgers. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Kale, Romaine, and Apple Salad with Sesame-Avocado Dressing
Here’s a fresh and crunchy kale salad with a double dose of sesame (tahini and seeds).Print Pin Rate Email
- 8 leaves kale preferably lacinato but curly is fine, washed and dried
- Olive oil for massaging
- 8 leaves romaine
- 1 medium sweet crisp apple, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots sliced or cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pinch of salt
- ½ medium ripe avocado peeled
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or more to taste
- ½ cup water
- Pinch of cumin
- Strip the kale leaves off the stem. Discard the stem or slice it very thinly if you’d like to use it.
- Slice the kale leaves very thinly and put in a serving bowl. With a little olive oil rubbed onto your palms, massage the kale leaves until they turn bright green and soften. This will take a minute or less.
- Cut the romaine leaves lengthwise through the midrib, then slice thinly crosswise.
- Add the sliced stem (if using), romaine, apple, carrots, and sesame seeds to the bowl with the kale. Toss together, and season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Combine the avocado, tahini, lemon juice, water, and cumin in a food processor or blender. Process until completely smooth.
- Pour about ½ cup of the dressing over the kale mixture and toss together. Serve at once. Pass the dressing around to embellish individual servings.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 701mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 14289IU | Vitamin C: 99mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more raw kale salads.
Leave a Reply