These tofu nuggets become firm and chewy as they bake. Kids enjoy dipping them into their favorite sauce. My favorite for this is the Quick Tartar Sauce. But it's not just for the younger crowd — given the right presentation, this can also be served as a simple appetizer as well. With the oven running at 425 degrees F, consider roasting a few vegetables at the same time. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 14- to 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons super-fine cornmeal or garbanzo flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Marinara or barbecue sauce (warmed),
good-quality ketchup, or Quick Tartar Sauce
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the tofu into ½-inch-thick slices crosswise to get 6 slabs. Blot well between clean tea-towels or several layers of paper towel. If time allows and you want these to be super-firm, use a tofu press. Cut each slab crosswise into 4 sections to get ½ by 2-inch nuggets.
In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the tofu with the oil until evenly coated.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a large plastic freezer bag or produce bag and shake to combine. Add the tofu and shake gently until the tofu pieces are evenly coated.
Arrange in a single layer on a lightly oiled nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn carefully and bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden and firm. Serve with sauce of your choice.
Per serving: Calories: 221; Total fat: 13g; Protein: 19g; Fiber: 3.3g; Carbs: 11g; Sodium: 188mg
- Here are more tasty vegan appetizers.
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.
Celeste kline says
221 calories per serving... What is a serving?