If you’re bored of regular rice and curry meals, this variation is a must try. This Lemon-Flavored Rice with Vegetables recipe is a good way to eat less carbs and more healthy vegetables. Just add this rice and your choice of pickles or chutney for a complete meal. I usually have this with Ruchi South Indian pickle. Photo and recipe contributed by Abi Anandakumar, from Ami’s Vegetarian Delicacies.
Lemon-Flavored Rice with Vegetables
Serves: 2 to 3
- 3.5 oz Ponni, Basmati, or Samba rice, washed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp yellow split peas
- curry leaves
- 4 dry red chilis, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt, to taste
- 4 oz frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Wash rice and add to rice cooker with water. Water has to be double the rice amount (for example, 2 cups water for 1 cup rice; for Basmati, it has to be 1 1/2 times).
- Heat oil in a large pan, add mustard, fennel seeds, yellow split peas, curry leaves and dry red chilies. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, diced potatoes, turmeric powder, and salt. Stir well, close the lid, cook in low heat till potatoes are soft.
- Separately place thawed frozen vegetables in hot water for a minute, drain them and set aside.
- When rice is cooked, sprinkle lemon juice, mix well using wooden spoon and let it dry. Add rice and mix vegetables to large pan, mix well. Serve with pickle or chutney.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.