Artichoke hearts, tomato slices, bell pepper, and olives top this savory pie seasoned with basil and oregano. If you can find instant or quick-cooking polenta, you can decrease the preparation time significantly. From More Quick-Fix Vegan* by Robin Robertson reprinted by permission of Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC 2014.
Mediterranean Polenta Pie
Artichoke hearts, tomato slices, bell pepper, and olives top this savory polenta pie seasoned with basil and oregano.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 3 ¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
- 3 scallions finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 marinated artichoke hearts thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 1 roasted red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a shallow 10-inch square baking dish or round pie pan.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Lower the heat to medium, add the salt, and slowly whisk in the cornmeal, stirring constantly. Decrease the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until thick, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the scallions, basil, and oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the polenta into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Arrange the artichoke and tomato slices on top of the polenta.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle evenly with the olives and bell pepper.
- Sprinkle with the cheese, if using.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes, then uncover and continue baking for 10 minutes longer to lightly brown the top. Serve hot.
Calories: 273kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1201mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 876IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
Per Serving: 199 calories; 33g carbs; 5g fat; 4g protein; 198mg sodium; 3g sugar.
JL Fields says
This looks spectacular!
Hi, JL! So nice to see you here.
The picture for the Mediterranean polenta pie shows fresh sliced red bells not roasted red bells?
Kathleen, I do think those are roasted bell peppers from a jar, perhaps they just didn't have any charred spots. But this would be good with either fresh sautéed or roasted bell peppers.