Sweet potato and tender greens (choose from spinach, arugula, watercress, or tatsoi) synergize nicely in this quick miso soup. I prefer mellow white miso as the base for this soup, but use whatever variety of miso you like best, such as dark and hearty hatcho or barley miso. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Miso Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Greens
Sweet potato and tender greens (choose from spinach, arugula, watercress, or tatsoi) synergize nicely in this quick miso soup.Print Pin Rate Email
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 32- ounce container low-sodium vegetable broth or 4 cups water with 2 salt-free natural vegetable bouillon cubes
- 14- to 16- ounce container soft or firm tofu
- 3 to 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh or jarred ginger
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons miso any variety (choose from barley, hatcho, or mellow white), to taste
- 3 to 4 ounces baby spinach baby arugula, tatsoi, watercress, or a combination
- Combine the sweet potato with the broth or water with bouillon cubes. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes
- Add an additional cup of water, then stir the tofu in gently, followed by the scallions and ginger.
- Return to a rapid simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of miso in a small amount of warm water. Add to the soup and taste. If you’d like a saltier, more pungent taste, add another tablespoon or two of miso dissolved in a little warm water.
- Season with pepper and stir in most of the greens, saving a small amount to top individual portions.
- Serve at once, topping each bowlful with a handful of uncooked greens.
Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 364mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 12081IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per serving: 95 calories; 2.5g fat; 280mg sodium; 12g carbs; 1g fiber; 6g protein
- Try some of VegKitchen’s other Soulful Soups.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
Leave a Reply