You won’t believe that this soft serve mocha banana ice cream is made almost entirely of frozen banana. Of course, this recipe is also vegan. The velvety texture and coffee-chocolate flavor will have you hooked. Best of all, you don’t need an ice cream machine to make it, though a food processor is a must! A powerful blender works, too. Freezing bananas that are getting almost too ripe is perfect for making treats like this, or for using in smoothies. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Chocolate Banana Frozen Soft Serve
When you taste this, you won’t believe that this frozen treat is made almost purely of banana. The velvety texture and mild chocolate flavor will have you hooked.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 4 medium very ripe bananas
- 2 to 4 tablespoons nondairy milk like almond or coconut creamer
- ⅓ cup organic chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee preferably organic, dissolved in a little hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For topping (optional)
- Fresh fruit berries or sliced bananas
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Chopped nuts
- Peel bananas and cut into approximately ½-inch slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze for several hours, until frozen solid, or overnight.
- In a food processor, combine the frozen bananas with the chocolate syrup, dissolved coffee, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of the nondairy milk or coconut creamer.
- Process until the bananas are broken down to bits, then stop the machine to scrape down. Process again until the mixture is completely smooth and creamy, adding a bit more of the nondairy milk if the mixture needs it.
- Scrape the banana mixture back into a container and refreeze for at least a couple of hours, or until firm to the touch.
- Scoop into individual bowls and serve with any of the optional toppings listed. Eat at once!
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 508mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Explore other recipes for Vegan Ice Cream treats.
This sounds great! I make this with just bananas and almond milk, but will give this a try. One hint - if you mash the bananas with a fork before freezing, they break up easier in the food processor.
Great idea, Kathy — thanks!
I'm thinking..mix it all up in the blender then put it into my ice cream maker...yummm. I have one of those ice cream makers with a bowl that goes in the freezer.
I wonder if the texture would be different if it were made in an ice cream maker … have you ever tried a banana-based ice cream in it?
I wonder if you could make it so it doesn't take like banana all the time. How can you take away the banana taste when you use frozen fruit like peaches?
Celeste, you can experiment with fruits other than banana. Of course, peach won't go very well with the chocolate/mocha flavors. But if you just puree it with a little coconut milk and freeze until it has an ice cream texture, it will be like a fruit sorbet.
Wendy Schiavo says
Have you tried a Yonana machine? Google it please!