This luscious vegan cheez-y sauce makes vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, brussels sprouts) more appealing to the finicky, but even veggie lovers will enjoy this cheesy treat. This makes about 2 cups. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Mustard-Spiked Vegan Cheez-y Sauce
This luscious vegan cheez-y sauce makes vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, brussels sprouts) more appealing to the finicky.Print Pin Rate Email
- ¾ cup crumbled soft or silken tofu drained
- ¼ cup unsweetened nondairy milk plus more, as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed Cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard yellow or Dijon-style, as you prefer, or more, to taste
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard optional
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt or to taste
- Puree the tofu with the nondairy milk in a food processor or the container of an immersion blender, until velvety smooth.
- Transfer to a small saucepan, then add the remaining ingredients except the salt. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, then cook, stirring frequently, until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Add a small amount of additional nondairy milk if desired, to make the sauce more fluid. If you’d like, use the immersion blender in the pot to make the sauce even more velvety.
- Season with salt (you may not need much, if any), then serve hot over steamed vegetables.
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 247mg | Potassium: 44mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 77IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per ¼ cup: Calories: 97; Total fat: 9g; Protein: 2g; Carbs: 3g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 185 mg
- Here are more Simple Sauces and Such.
- Enjoy other Vegan Cheese-y Delights.
Leave a Reply