This hearty soup of navy or cannellini beans, corn kernels, and red bell peppers is easy and family-friendly. It can be the be the centerpiece of a meal or an introduction, depending on what else is being served. If you’re inclined to bake, Quick Three-Grain Brown Bread goes well with this, and you can pop it into the oven before starting the soup.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth plus 2 cups water
or 6 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans navy, cannellini, or Great Northern beans,
drained and rinsed, or 3 to 3 1/2 cups cooked
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into short, narrow strips
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 to 2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk, or as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the potatoes, carrots, and broth or water. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
If you’d like to give the soup a thicker base, puree one of the cans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked) of the beans before adding to the soup. Otherwise, add all the beans along with the bell pepper, tomatoes, corn, dill, and paprika.
Simmer very gently for 25 to 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender and the flavors well blended.
Stir in enough nondairy milk to give the soup a nice consistency. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley at the last minute. Serve, or if time allows, let stand off the heat for an hour or two to develop flavor. Taste to adjust seasonings and heat through before serving.
Calories: 331; Total fat: 5g; Protein: 14g; Fiber: 10.2g; Carbs: 59g; Sodium: 112 mg
- Try some of VegKitchen’s other Soulful Soups.