Here’s a soup that’s great for any kind of weather, not just when it’s chilly and rainy. Because it’s ready to serve in 20 minutes, it’s for any time you want soup in a hurry. You can even chill it and serve it cold on warm days. Recipe adapted from Vegan Express: Featuring 160 Quick, Delicious Recipes for Healthy Meals* by Nava Atlas; photo by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored vegetable oil
or coconut oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- Two 15-ounce cans light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups plain unsweetened rice milk
- One 16-ounce bag frozen corn (see variation)
- 2 teaspoons good quality curry powder
- Sriracha sauce, dried hot red pepper flakes,
or other hot seasoning to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, to taste
Heat the oil in a small soup pot. Add the garlic, the white parts of the scallions, and the bell pepper. Sauté over medium-low heat until softened and golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, rice milk, corn, curry powder, the green parts of the scallions.
Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Season with hot sauce, salt, and pepper, and cilnatro, and remove from the heat.
Variation: When you’re in less of a hurry, this is great made with fresh corn. Use 4 to 5 medium ears, lightly cooked and cooled. Strip the kernels off with a sharp knife.
Per serving: 225 calories; 31g of carbs; 12g of fat; 3g of protein; 435mg of sodium; 6g of sugar
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!