There’s a well-known aphorism that states; “Life is too short to stuff mushrooms." One can make that argument, but honestly, stuffing a couple dozen mushrooms is not really a lot of work and it produces a perennially pleasing appetizer. This makes two dozen mushrooms; 3 or so make a nice appetizer serving, especially if serving with other appetizers.
Stuffing a couple dozen mushrooms is not really a lot of work and it produces a perennially pleasing appetizer.Print Pin Rate Email
- 24 large white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance
- ½ cup finely ground hazelnuts or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ or hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chives or scallion
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt-free all-purpose seasoning (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean and carefully remove the stems; discard the stems or save for another use. Arrange the caps, cut side up, on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Melt the Earth Balance in a small skillet. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until blended together. Remove from the heat.
- Stuff the mushroom caps with the mixture from the skillet, distributing evenly. Cover the baking sheet loosely with foil. Bake, covered, for 10 minutes, then uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the mushrooms and filling are beginning to brown.
- Transfer to a platter and garnish with thyme. Serve warm.
Calories: 78kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 268mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 137IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Here are more tasty vegan appetizers.
Do you cook the filling first? It says remove from skillet, but there are no directions for the stuffing??
Hi Terry — wow, a crucial instruction was missing! Thanks for the eagle eye. I updated the recipe, but it takes a few hours for it to show up, so here's the missing instruction: Melt the Earth Balance in a small skillet. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until blended together. Remove from the heat ... and then you go on to stuff the mushrooms with the skillet mixture.