Blueberries are one of the most antioxidant-rich fruits available, making this a supercharged smoothie to start the day, or to enjoy as a midday refreshment. Use organic frozen blueberries when fresh are out of season. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 2 medium bananas, broken into several pieces (frozen ahead of time, if desired)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut, cashew, or almond butter
- 1 cup berry juice or coconut water
- 1 cup vanilla nondairy milk
- Maple syrup or agave nectar to taste, optional
- A few ice cubes, optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and process until smoothly pureed.
- Adjust the consistency with more liquid if desired. Serve at once in tall glasses or small mason jars.