Transport yourself to the Mediterranean coast with this tasty Olivada. It's a great dip or spread with a strong salty, tangy flavor.
This spread is the perfect combination of salty and flavorful. Serve this tasty concoction as a dip or spread alongside any of your favorite Mediterranean dishes. It tastes scrumptious on toast or garlic bread, paired with crackers on a charcuterie board, or even served over pasta!
Here are more tasty vegan appetizers.
How to Make Olivada
- Let sun-dried tomatoes sit in boiling water.
- Smash garlic clove.
- Combine olive oil and garlic clove in small cup.
- Heat oil and garlic in the microwave or on the stove.
- Remove garlic from oil and tomatoes from water.
- Blend tomatoes, oil, olives, and capers into a paste.
Full directions for how to make Olivada are in the printable recipe card below.
What is olivada?
Olivada is a Mediterranean spread similar to a tapenade. It's typically made with oil, olives, and various other ingredients.
What are capers?
Capers, when regarding food, are unopened flower buds of the caper bush. They are usually pickled or salted and used as a seasoning in tangy, savory dishes.
- Cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Smash garlic clove with the side of a large knife.
- In a small bowl or coffee cup, combine olive oil and garlic clove.
- Heat oil and garlic in microwave oven on high for 20 seconds. Or you can heat oil and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat for a minute or two—until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Remove garlic clove from oil. Remove sun-dried tomatoes from water.
- Combine softened tomatoes, flavored oil, olives, and capers in food processor. Pulse until the mixture becomes a rough paste.
Contributed by Kim Lutz, from Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes* (Sterling, ©2011).
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!