When the season for cold meals arrives, this easy rice salad is most welcome. Served with a simple combination of chickpeas or black beans and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and fresh herbs. Add some steamed broccoli or green beans to the meal for a finishing touch. Try using black rice (sometimes marketed as forbidden rice) for added eye appeal. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Olive Rice Salad
- ¾ cup raw medium-grain brown rice see variations below recipe box
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- ⅓ cup chopped black olives
- ⅓ cup chopped green olives
- 1 medium red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded white cabbage
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the rice with 2 cups of water in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Lower the heat, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork then let it cool completely.
- Combine the rice with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss together thoroughly. Serve at room temperature.
Variations: Use a more unusual variety of rice like brown Basmati, Bhutanese red rice, or forbidden black rice.
Per serving: Calories: 146; Total fat: 5g; Protein: 3g; Carbs: 24g; Sodium: 137 mg
- Here are more recipes for grain salads.