Bursting with Southwestern flavors, this pasta salad, made with tiny rice-shaped orzo, is as flavorful as it is easy to make. It features corn, prepared salsa and lots of cilantro. Serve with vegan quesadillas any time of year, or with grilled vegetables and a simple slaw for a nice summer meal. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 cup orzo or rosa marina (rice-shaped pasta)
- 15- to16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup store-bought salsa, your favorite variety, or more, as desired
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook the orzo in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente. Drain and rinse until cool, then drain well again.
Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a serving container. Add the pasta and toss together. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Per serving: Calories: 275; Total fat: 3g; Protein: 10g; Carbs: 50g; Sodium: 402mg