The simplicity of this Neopolitan recipe belies its luscious flavor. Studded with green and black olives and a generous helping of ripe tomatoes, this is a quick pasta dish that’s perfect for a summer evening. You can enjoy it any time of year, though, so long as you can use flavorful tomatoes. Serve with a green vegetable and a big salad of mixed greens tossed with chickpeas or other beans. Use good olives that come pre-pitted from your market’s olive bar. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Pasta Puttanesca (Pasta with Olive Sauce)
Studded with green and black olives and a generous helping of ripe tomatoes, this is a quick pasta dish that’s perfect for a summer evening.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 10 to 12 ounces pasta any long variety of your choice (spaghetti, linguine, angel hair, etc.)
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup pitted brine-cured olives chopped (try a combination of black and green)
- 12- ounce jar roasted red peppers diced
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup dry white or red wine or water
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente,then drain.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and sauté until over low heat until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the olives, roasted peppers, tomatoes, and wine. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a rapid simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the olive sauce in a large serving bowl. Add the parsley, season with salt and pepper, and toss together gently. Serve at once.
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 1939mg | Potassium: 707mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2190IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per Serving: 295 calories; 5.1g fat; 358.4mg sodium; 53.3g carbs; 4.4g fiber; 9.2g protein
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.
- Here are more lighter seasonal vegan pasta recipes.
Maria Rodriguez says
Looks great and super easy tbanks
This was excellent. I used a fresh red pepper b/c I don't like the jarred ones, prefer them a little crisp. Other than that followed the recipe exactly. Will try this in the summer when fresh tomatoes are plentiful. The grape tomatoes I used were a good sub. for them for now.
Thanks, Beverly. Glad you enjoyed it. Good idea to sub fresh peppers for the roasted!
One of our favorite pasta recipes!
Wondering if the nutritional info is based on four servings or six. Thank you.
Hi Mimi — usually the stats are based on the smaller number of servings, that is, 4 in this case; though since I didn't do the analyses myself, I wouldn't stake my life on this. If you want to double check, you can use the myfitnesspal analysis tool. Glad you enjoy this!