An appetizing, mildly spiced mélange of nourishing beans, quinoa, and greens, this makes a stellar centerpiece for a soup-based meal, as it’s done in 30 minutes or less. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein, making this practically a meal in a bowl. Adapted from Vegan Express. Photos by Rachael Braun.
Serves: 6 or more
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise,
or ½ cup peeled and thinly sliced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth or 4 cups water
with 2 natural salt-free vegetable bouillon cubes
- ⅔ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked or one 15-to 16-ounce can (drained and rinsed) pink beans
- 2 teaspoons salt-free all-purpose seasoning blend, like Frontier or Mrs. Dash
- 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika, or more, to taste
- 2 cups diced ripe tomatoes or one 15-to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
(try fire-roasted for extra flavor)
- 4 to 6 ounces baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parley or dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce to taste, optional
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the carrots and garlic, and continue to sauté until all are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth or water with bouillon cubes, followed by the quinoa, beans, and spices. Bring to a slow boil, then turn down the heat, cover, and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and 2 cups additional water, more or less to give the soup a slightly dense consistency. If you like a thicker soup, add less; if you'd like it brothier, add more. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the tomatoes and other flavorings meld.
- Add the spinach and dill or parsley. Cook for just a minute or two, until the spinach wilts, then stir it in. Adjust the consistency with yet a little more water if need be and season with salt and pepper. Adjust the other seasonings, and add a hot red pepper flakes or sriracha if you'd like a little heat. Serve at once.
Per serving (without hot red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce): 170.4 calories; 3.7g fat; 635.4mg sodium; 235mg potassium; 29.5g carbs; 7g fiber; 5.4g sugar; 6.3g protein
- Try some of VegKitchen’s other Soulful Soups.
- Explore Vegkitchen’s wide array of quinoa recipes.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and
more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
What would I change to make this in a crockpot? Thanks.
Chris, this soup can be made in about 30 minutes, so I'm not sure there's any benefit to cooking it in a crock pot. I'm also not familiar with crock pot cooking so I would't be very helpful at advising.
This soup was soooo delicious. I added a little extra curry powder and black pepper, because I love lots of flavor. I also substituted kidney beans for pink beans. It was great.
This looks yummy, but Can you tell me what pink beans are...?
Pink beans are often labeled as just pink beans, but you can use any similar bean — pinto, small red, or even white.
This was delicious and I wasn't the only one who thought so! I used red quinoa, black beans and I added mushrooms. Thank you so much for sharing. This is the 4th recipe I've made since I found your site 3 weeks ago.
Welcome, Eulandria, and thanks for your comment! Love your tweaks and please continue to come back.
This is our family's favorite soup! My go-to dinner when I don't know what to make...always a hit and leftovers are great for lunch the next day!
Dianne, since you and your family like the quinoa and bean combo, you might enjoy the Quinoa and Bean Sloppy Joes: http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/pinto-bean-and-quinoa-sloppy-joes-2/ — also very quick and it's easy to complete the meal with corn, potatoes, green veggies, or a salad. So glad you love this soup; I do, too!
Can the curry powder be omitted and the soup still be flavorful? Looks delicious! Can't wait to try it! Thanks
Sure! Use whatever seasoning you enjoy most. Enjoy!
This made a fantastic meal, thanks!
So glad you enjoyed this, Nehemiah!