This simple salad pairs pinto beans with super-nutritious watercress or baby arugula. It's an easy way to boost the protein content of meals, and is a great choice for the lunch box as well as outdoor meals and picnics. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 15- to 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ bunch watercress leaves, with some chopped stem, or 3 to 4 big handfuls baby arugula
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 large celery stalk, finely diced
- ⅓ cup chopped green olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, or ½ teaspoon dried
In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together.
Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until mixed, or pass the dressing around on the side. Serve at once.
Per serving: Calories: 113; Total fat: 3g; Protein: 4g; Carbs: 17g; Sodium: 102 mg
- Go to Picnic Pleasures for a complete picnic menu and tips.
- Explore Bean Salads for more easy, tasty ideas.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
Leave a Reply