Using prepared polenta and vegan sausage makes for a nice change-of-pace stuffing for fall and winter meals, and it’s great for the Thanksgiving table, too. Adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Polenta, Vegan Sausage, and Mushroom Stuffing
- One 18-ounce tube polenta
- One 14-ounce package Tofurky or Field Roast vegan sausages
- sliced ½-inch thick
- 6 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large onion preferably red, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ to ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning blend like Mrs. Dash or Frontier
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Cut the polenta into ½-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice into 8 little wedges.
- Combine with the sliced sausages in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle in half of the oil and toss to coat. Spread evenly in a lightly oiled or parchment-lined roasting pan. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remain oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the celery and continue to sauté until both it and the onion are golden.
- One the polenta and sausage mixture has roasted for 20 minutes, stir in the onion and celery mixture; then stir in the rosemary leaves, parsley, thyme, seasoning blend, and optional sage leaves.
- Drizzle in a bit of broth, just enough to moisten the mixture but not drench it. Bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer to a serving container. Cover and keep the stuffing warm or serve at once.
- Here are 6 more savory and comforting vegan stuffings.