Using prepared polenta and vegan sausage makes for a nice change-of-pace stuffing for fall and winter meals, and it’s great for the Thanksgiving table, too. Adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- One 18-ounce tube polenta
- One 14-ounce package Tofurky or Field Roast vegan sausages
- sliced ½-inch thick
- 6 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large onion preferably red, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ to ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning blend like Mrs. Dash or Frontier
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Cut the polenta into ½-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice into 8 little wedges.
- Combine with the sliced sausages in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle in half of the oil and toss to coat. Spread evenly in a lightly oiled or parchment-lined roasting pan. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remain oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the celery and continue to sauté until both it and the onion are golden.
- One the polenta and sausage mixture has roasted for 20 minutes, stir in the onion and celery mixture; then stir in the rosemary leaves, parsley, thyme, seasoning blend, and optional sage leaves.
- Drizzle in a bit of broth, just enough to moisten the mixture but not drench it. Bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer to a serving container. Cover and keep the stuffing warm or serve at once.
- Here are 6 more savory and comforting vegan stuffings.