This meatless version of a rustic Provençal stew, made with white beans, is sensual and satisfying. A fresh, crusty French baguette is perfect for soaking up its delicious broth. A bountiful tossed salad makes it a complete meal.
Provençal Bean Stew
This meatless version of a rustic Provençal stew, made with white beans, is sensual and satisfying. A fresh, crusty French baguette is perfect for soaking up its delicious broth.Print Pin Rate Email
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 medium golden potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 3 ½ to 4 cups cooked canellini beans about 1 ⅔ cups raw or two 15- to 16-ounce cans, drained and rinsed
- 15- to 16- ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté over medium heat until both are golden.
- Add the water, carrots, potatoes, and wine. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes. If needed, add a small amount of water, but the consistency should be fairly thick; not too soupy.
- Season with salt and pepper. Allow the stew to stand off the heat for an hour or so if time allows. Heat through as needed before serving. If need be, adjust the consistency once again with a bit of water, and taste again for salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with a sprig of fresh rosemary.
Calories: 251kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 945mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3488IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 5mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per serving: Calories: 270; Total fat: 5g; Protein: 12 g; Fiber: 10g; Carbs: 42 g; Sodium: 48mg
- Here are more recipes for bean stews and chilies.
- Sample more recipes for global stews.
- Here are more vegan sausage recipes.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
Made this last night for dinner and loved it!
Would omitting the wine make this recipe taste "blah?" What would you suggest as an alternative to wine? Thanks!
Hilda, perhaps use a good vegetable stock and some extra seasonings.
Daniel Burleigh says
I just cooked this recipe. I usually tweak almost every recipe I do but this one I wanted to try and stick with. I'm glad I did it was amazing. The side of a toasted bread was a great addition. I'm very impressed and that doesn't happen much. Thank you
Thanks so much, Daniel! Glad you enjoyed this stew.