This pumpkin bread pudding is packed with Fall flavor from pumpkin, warm spices, and a splash of dark rum. And it's vegan too. Yum!
Simple as can be, this vegan pumpkin bread pudding is even better than the pumpkin bread that's so ubiquitous around this time of year.
Warm, creamy, and comforting, it’s the perfect dessert to ward off those autumn chills. I just can't decide whether I prefer this pumpkin bread pudding or my chocolate bread pudding more. Perhaps I'll serve one for Thanksgiving and the other for Christmas this year!
It’s a snap to customize this bread pudding to your liking. Consider the spices as a mere suggestion - feel free to add a handful or two of nuts, chocolate, or dried fruit for your own flavorful twist.
This bread pudding make an amazing dessert for Thanksgiving. (And if you're here planning your holiday menu, be sure to check out my complete Vegan Thanksgiving Cookbook too.)
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- ½ pound crusty bread
- 1 cup pumpkin puree fresh or canned
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup dark brown sugar packed
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup plain nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum optional
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger finely chopped
- Nondairy ice cream and/or Caramel Sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. and lightly grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Whisk together the pumpkin puree, cornstarch, sugar, spices, and salt in a large bowl.
- Once smooth and thoroughly combined, add in the nondairy milk and optional rum, and stir until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Toss in the bread cubes and crystallized ginger, and use a wide spatula to gently stir everything together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth it evenly across the bottom. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. The edges should appear set, but the interior will remain quite soft and moist. Good bread pudding should be very moist, so be careful not to over bake it!
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving. You can either take the time to make nice, neat slices like, or just grab a large spoon and scoop it out onto plates. Serve warm with ice cream, Caramel Sauce, or both.