This quinoa salad keeps things very simple, highlighting this nutty grain in tandem with lots of delicious fresh asparagus. It’s a lot like tabbouli, but with a springtime touch.
Quinoa and Asparagus Salad
- 1 cup raw quinoa any color, or a combination, rinsed
- 10 to 12 ounces fresh slender asparagus
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 scallions finely chopped
- Several fresh mint leaves to taste, thinly sliced, optional
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving optional
- Combine the quinoa with 2 cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. If you’d like a more tender grain, add 1/2 cup additional water and continue to simmer until the water is absorbed. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, scrape the bottom halves of the asparagus spears if need be. If fresh and tender, you can skip this step. Cut the asparagus into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
- Place the asparagus in a skillet with just enough water to keep the bottom moist. Cover and steam over medium heat just until bright green and tender-crisp.
- Transfer the asparagus to a colander and rinse with water until it’s at room temperature.
- Combine with the quinoa and asparagus with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl and mix well. Let stand for a few minutes, then serve. Pass around extra wedges of lime, if you’d like.
Per Serving: 167 calories; 6.7g fat; 24.7g carbs; 3.5g fiber; 7.2g protein; 5.3mg sodium