This Raw Vegan Cheddar Cheese Spread recipe is made with raw cashews and sun-dried tomatoes and requires no cooking. Serve as a spread for raw veggies, fruit, crackers, slices of bread, or for sandwiches. From The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Cooking* by Beverly Lynn Bennett and Ray Sammartano.
Raw Vegan Cheddar Cheese Spread
Yield: 1 ½ cups
- 1 ½ cups plus ⅓ cup water
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp raw tahini
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Combine 1 ½ cups water, cashews, and sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and set aside to soak for 2 hours. Drain off soaking water and discard.
- Transfer cashews mixture to a food processor fitted with an S blade. Add remaining ⅓ cup water, tahini, lemon juice, liquid aminos, garlic powder, and paprika. Process for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber spatula and process for 1 or 2 more minutes or until completely smooth. Transfer mixture to a small bowl to serve.
- Store leftover spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Variation: Turn this spread into a mock cheddar cheese sauce by blending it with an additional ¼ cup water or more, and use it as a sauce of dip for raw or cooked vegetables. For extra flavor, add 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes.
Visit Beverly Lynn Bennett at The Vegan Chef.
- For more vegan cheese-like recipes, go to Vegan Cheese-y Delights.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!