I call this “a salad for the kale haters” because my husband, who isn’t fond of kale, asked for seconds on this incredibly lush and dreamy salad. Recipe from The Abundance Diet: The 28-Day Plan to Reinvent Your Health, Lose Weight, and Discover the Power of Plant-Based Foods. * ©2015 by Somer McCowan. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press LLC. Photo by Ann Oliverio.
Rawkin’ Rainbow Kale Salad
Creamy Chili Lime Dressing
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup raw cashew pieces soaked for 4 to 6 hours
- 1 tablespoon tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or more (depending on your heat preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Rainbow Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch of about16 ounces lacinato dinosaur kale, tough stems removed then cut into ¼-inch shreds
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ head small purple cabbage cut into ¼-inch ribbons
- ½ cup red onion cut into ¼-inch dice or thinly sliced rings
- 1 large carrot cut into thin 2-inch long matchsticks
- 1 large ripe Hass avocado peeled, pitted, and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 small jicama cut into 2-inch long matchsticks
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving (optional)
- In a high-speed blender or a food processor, combine the red bell pepper, garlic, cashews, tamari, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the kale and the cilantro to a large salad bowl and pour on the dressing. Toss until all the kale is thoroughly coated, then massage the kale with your hands for 1 to 2 minutes. (Massaging kale makes it taste better!)
- Divide the kale salad among four large plates and top with the purple cabbage, red onion, carrot, avocado, and jicama.
- Season with a bit of salt and pepper and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
- Here are more Raw Kale Salads.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!