For this flavorful quinoa dish, you can choose from the red, tan or black varieties. I chose the red for a nice color contrast for all the earthy colors of the vegetables. The toasted pumpkin seeds also add a nice crunch, and extra protein to this delicious vegan main dish. Recipe contributed by Leslie Cerier. Photos by Tracey Eller.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup organic pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup organic red quinoa, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups organic carrots, sliced
- 1 ½ cups organic celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon organic dried thyme
- Freshly ground pepper to taste, optional
Pour the boiling water over the porcini mushrooms in a heatproof bowl and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add pumpkin seeds and cook over medium heat for a minute or so.
Add the quinoa and salt to the skillet. Sauté for 3 minutes to flavor the quinoa.
Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 3 minutes, or until the carrots turn bright orange.
Slowly add the hot water and porcini mushrooms. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
Stir in the thyme. Adjust the seasonings, adding a few grindings of pepper, if desired.
- Here are more quinoa recipes.