This roasted eggplant salad complements mild tomato-based pasta dishes as well as most any kind of grain or bean dishes. Artichoke hearts add a nice flavor and texture contrast to the smoky, mellow flavor of the roasted eggplant.
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 1 large eggplant (1 to 1 ½ pounds)
- 12-ounce jar quartered marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 large stalk celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into short narrow strips
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped or sliced black olives
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, as desired
- 2 tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Green or red leaf lettuce, mixed baby greens, or baby arugula, as needed, optional
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Place the eggplant on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, or until it has collapsed. Remove from the oven.
When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, cut the pulp away from the peel. Discard the peel and finely chop the pulp. Combine in a serving bowl with the chopped artichoke hearts and just a little of their liquid, along with the remaining ingredients except the optional greens. Toss well.
To serve, line individual plates with greens, if desired, and spoon some of the salad over them.