A very simple savory tart recipe that uniquely combines asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes with vegan cheese, all nestled in a perfect puff-pastry square. I love recipes that double as quick-and-easy snacks by day and elegant party foods by night. And this one is exactly that. The prep is easy, and minimal equipment is needed.
Recipe and photo from Modern Vegan Baking: The Ultimate Resource for Sweet and Savory Baked Goods by Gretchen Price © 2018 Rockridge Press, reprinted by permission.
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 25 minutes
- 3 fresh garlic cloves 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup packed fresh basil
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- Two 8-ounce) packages vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (17 ounces) vegan puff-pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 pound asparagus (18 to 24 stalks)
- 1 cup Daiya Mozzarella Cheese Shreds
- ½ cup Go Veggie Vegan Parmesan Style Topping
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Mash the garlic cloves with the salt into a paste on a cutting board, using a large chef’s knife and a smashing-and- rocking motion.
Cut the fresh basil and the sun-dried tomatoes into fine strips.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegan cream cheese with the garlic paste, thyme, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil, and mix well.
Remove the thawed puff-pastry sheets from the box and unfold the 2 separate sheets. Cut them along the fold lines and place 3 pieces on each sheet pan. Prick the entire surface with a fork to vent and prevent too much puffing in the oven.
Spread each pastry rectangle with the cream-cheese mixture and fold the edges of each rectangle to create a ¼-inch border. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
Place 3 or 4 stalks of asparagus onto the cream-cheese mixture in each puff pastry, and sprinkle each one with about 21/2 tablespoons of the vegan mozzarella and a bit of the vegan Parmesan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- This tart is best served the day it is made, but it can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in a toaster oven for 10 minutes before serving.
- Try to find the thinner stalks of asparagus, as they will be more tender and better overall. But if you can only find the larger, thicker stalks, simply take a vegetable peeler to each stalk and peel away some of the woodier flesh for a more tender bite.
- Savor more of our tasty vegan appetizers
Leave a Reply