These little baked squares, rich with dried fruits, nuts, and wine, are a delectable Passover dessert.
Makes: 24 or more little squares
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup sweet Passover wine
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup matzo cake meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
Combine the dried fruits with the wine in a small mixing bowl. Let soak overnight or for the good part of a day, then drain off any excess wine.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, then stir in the soaked fruits. Pour into an oiled 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for 15 minutes more, or until the pudding looks dark but still moist and springs back at a gentle touch. Cool, then cut into small squares or diamonds to serve.
- Get more on VegKitchen’s Passover: Sephardic-Style Seder page.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.