When a snack attack sneaks up on us, we can’t get enough of these little squares paired up with a cold glass of unsweetened coconut-almond milk. The good news is they’re quite nutritious on top of being delicious—so thumbs way up if you feel like having seconds. Recipe and photos from The Great Vegan Protein Book by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes. @2015, Fair Winds Press. Reprinted by permission.
Sesame Berry Squares
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ cup all natural raspberry or strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1⅓ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup hulled hemp seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup plus 1 ½ teaspoons tahini
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Plain or vanilla vegan milk as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the jam with the chia seeds and set aside. The seeds will expand a little and thicken up the jam while you prepare the crust.
- Combine the flour, hemp seeds, and salt in a large bowl. Add the tahini, maple syrup, and vanilla on top, using a pastry cutter to stir them in. The dough must be moist without being too wet. It should stick together easily when pinched. If it is too dry, add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of milk at a time until it is sufficiently moist.
- Set aside a packed ½ cup (120 g) of the resulting dough. Sprinkle the dough evenly in the prepared pan. Press it down evenly all over the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with the jam mixture, spreading it all over with an angled spatula. Crumble the reserved dough on top, pressing slightly on top of the jam.
- Bake for 24 minutes or until the crumbs on top are golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack and cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Here are more vegan cookies and bars.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!