This chickpea salad recipe is super easy and completely delicious; it takes only about 15 minutes to make, and there are so many ways to serve it — as a sandwich, appetizer, or dolloped into a lettuce leaf. The hint of sweet pickle relish really gives this preparation a great flavor! See suggestions following the recipe. Recipe contributed by Sharon Nazarian, from Big City Vegan. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Sharon’s Chickpea Salad or Sandwich Spread
- 15- oz can chickpeas garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup carrots shredded (about 2 medium carrots)
- ½ cup celery finely chopped (1 large or 2 average-size stalks)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice from about 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise or as desired
- 2 tablespoons chives or scallion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional but highly recommended
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 1 to 2 teaspoons dried to taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste, optional, see Note
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl with a potato masher until there are no whole chickpeas left. A potato masher works best but if you don’t have one, you can use a fork (or for the totally lazy, place the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse on and off until finely chopped).
- Combine the mashed chickpeas with the remaining ingredients and mix together. Serve as suggested below.
Note: Depending on what brand of chickpeas you use, you may or may not need to add additional salt. Some canned beans have more salt than others. You can buy no-salt added chickpeas for complete control over your sodium intake. You could also soak and cook your beans instead of buying canned. This requires a little extra work but can be more economical.
- Serve as a sandwich with toasted bread. Try it on Food for Life Ezekiel bread with sliced tomatoes, or your favorite multigrain bread over a bed of greens, like baby spinach, baby kale, or romaine lettuce.
- Or make romaine lettuce boats. Just scoop some chickpea salad onto a romaine lettuce leaf – so good and refreshing.
- This is also delicious on whole grain crackers or stoneground tortilla chips served as an appetizer.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan sandwiches and wraps.