Sometimes simple can be sublime, and if you're a broccoli fan, you'll love this classic combo with pasta, embellished with sun-dried tomatoes and lots of garlic. Complete the meal with a colorful salad that includes some chickpeas or any kind of bean.
Simple Pasta with Broccoli and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
If you're a broccoli fan, you'll love this classic combo with pasta, embellished with sun-dried tomatoes and lots of garlic.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 10 to 12 ounces pasta any short chunky shape, preferably whole grain (or gluten-free if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 to 3 good-sized broccoli crowns cut into small bite-sized pieces
- ½ to ⅔ cups sliced sun-dried tomatoes see note
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes
- Lemon or lime wedges for garnish optional
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute or two over low heat, just until golden.
- Add the broccoli to the skillet along with about ¼ cup water. Cover and steam over medium heat until the broccoli is bright green and just a little beyond tender-crisp. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the broccoli mixture (along with any liquid remaining in the pan) and dried tomatoes in a serving container. Toss together and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve at once, passing around dried hot red pepper flakes, and lemon or lime wedges if desired for embellishing individual portions.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 506mg | Potassium: 1679mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 2321IU | Vitamin C: 282mg | Calcium: 173mg | Iron: 4mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Note: Since dried tomatoes are used generously in this dish, you may want to consider using those that are nice and moist but not oil-cured. But that's entirely up to you.
Per Serving: 308 calories; 7 g fat; 177 mg sodium; 54 g carbs; 15 g fiber; 15 g protein
- See more of VegKitchen's recipes for Pasta on the Lighter Side.
- If you love broccoli, you'll enjoy browsing our Healthy and Tasty Vegan Broccoli Recipes.
Leave a Reply