Lots of peas and toasted almonds combined with quinoa add up to a tasty and nourishing pilaf. For a light meal, serve with Tossed Salad Wraps or with a bountiful salad of any kind, and fresh corn. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or water with 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 to 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt-free all-purpose seasoning blend (like Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 2 cups frozen green peas, completely thawed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or fragrant nut oil, as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup slivered or sliced almonds, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
Combine the quinoa and broth in a large saucepan, and bring to a slow boil. Lower the heat and stir in the scallions and seasoning blend. Cover and cook simmer gently until all the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Stir in the peas and margarine, then season with salt and pepper. Cook just until the peas are well heated through. Transfer the pilaf to a serving bowl and scatter the almonds over the top.