Fajita dinners are so much fun that those you’ve made dinner for will hardly notice that for the most part, they’re actually making their own meal, right at the table. This festive meal makes very little work for the cook, and everyone can tailor their fajitas to their own tastes. For a bigger meal, serve with a simple side of brown rice or quinoa. Adapted from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas, ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Sizzling Tofu or Tempeh Fajitas
- 8 fajita-size 6- to 8-inch flour tortillas
- Shredded lettuce romaine works well
- Salsa your favorite homemade or purchased variety
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Vegan sour cream homemade or purchased or cashew cream, optional
- Picante sauce optional
For the fajitas:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons broth or water
- 2 teaspoons good-quality chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 8- ounce package baked tofu or one 8-ounce package tempeh
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into long, narrow strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into strips
- Prepare the items for serving before starting, as the rest of the preparation goes quickly. If you’d like to warm the tortillas, wrap them in foil and heat for 5 minutes or so in a 300º F oven or toaster oven. If they’re fresh and pliable, you can skip this step, but do bring them to room temperature.
- Place the lettuce, salsa, cilantro sprigs, and optional sour cream in separate serving bowls on the table. Place a bottle of picante sauce on the table for those who like hot stuff.
- Combine the lime juice, oil, chili powder, and cumin in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Cut the tofu or tempeh into narrow strips about 2 inches in length. Add them to the mixing bowl, and toss gently with the dressing (if you’re using tempeh, you might want to add a pinch of salt; you won’t need it if using baked tofu). Add the bell pepper strips and toss again.
- Heat a large skillet, then add the tempeh or tofu mixture, liquid and all. Turn the heat up to high and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes to 7 minutes, or until sizzling hot and touched with brown spots. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Distribute one or two tortillas (depending on appetite and what else is being served) to everyone.
- To assemble the fajitas, have everyone place a few strips of the tempeh or tofu and peppers in the center of their tortillas and garnish them as they wish. Roll up the fajitas and pick them up to eat out of hand.
Per serving with tofu: Calories: 344 with oil; Fat: 13g; Protein: 17g; Carbs: 46g; Fiber: 7g; Sodium: 600mg
Per serving with tempeh: Calories: 364; Fat: 13 g with oil; Protein: 17g; Carbs: 52g; Fiber: 11g; Sodium: 350mg
- Explore more recipes and excerpts from Plant Power.