If you like the kind of vegetarian baked beans that come in a can, you’re sure to love this yummy, quick homemade version even more. White beans are cooked in a skillet with a sweet and savory sauce. It's a dish that comes together quickly. For a simple meal, serve with baked sweet potatoes or a grain dish, and one of VegKitchen's slaw-style salads. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Skillet “Baked Beans”
If you like the kind of vegetarian baked beans that come in a can, you’re sure to love this yummy, quick homemade version even more.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans navy small white beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 to 3 ½ cups cooked
- ⅓ cup good-quality ketchup
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses or barley malt syrup or use an extra tablespoon of maple syrup instead
- 1 ½ teaspoons yellow or Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet, plus 3 tablespoons water, stir together.
- Continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. The sauce should be nicely thickened and enveloping the beans. Serve at once.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 223mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 143IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per serving: Calories: 314; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 14g; Fiber: 9g; Carbs: 56g; Sodium: 168mg
Barbara Levin says
Yay! So happy to find this!
I love your cookbooks, especially the family book, and this has been a staple in our kitchen since my daughter was small and I had to be a sneakier cook.
I'm cooking away from home, and memory failed on the specifics. Glad to find you online. Wishing you much success, health and joy!
PS: Whoops! I thought I was writing to Nava Atlas, I recognized her recipe. Whoops! I still wish you the best!