If you like the kind of vegetarian baked beans that come in a can, you’re sure to love this yummy, quick homemade version even more. White beans are cooked in a skillet with a sweet and savory sauce. It’s a dish that comes together quickly. For a simple meal, serve with baked sweet potatoes or a grain dish, and one of VegKitchen’s slaw-style salads. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Skillet “Baked Beans”
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans navy small white beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 to 3 1/2 cups cooked
- 1/3 cup good-quality ketchup
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses or barley malt syrup or use an extra tablespoon of maple syrup instead
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow or Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet, plus 3 tablespoons water, stir together.
- Continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. The sauce should be nicely thickened and enveloping the beans. Serve at once.
Per serving: Calories: 314; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 14g; Fiber: 9g; Carbs: 56g; Sodium: 168mg