Pears should be just ripe, not overripe and can be any variety you prefer, from Anjou to Bartlett. From Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker* by Robin Robertson.
Makes: about 3 cups
- 3 ripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar or other natural sweetener
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped crystallized ginger
- Generous pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Place all the ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
Remove lid and cool completely before storing in the refrigerator in glass jars or other tightly covered containers where it will keep for several weeks.
Robin Robertson has worked with food as a restaurant chef, caterer, cooking teacher, and food writer. She is the author of numerous cookbooks including Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker,* Vegan Planet,* and Vegan Fire & Spice.* Visit her on the web at Global Vegan Kitchen.
- Here are more recipes for using pears.
- Here are lots more recipes for salsas, chutneys, and relishes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!