A Spanish-inspired recipe, this dish of brown rice and red beans is a great for busy weeknights, when you want something easy and hearty. The key is to have the rice cooked ahead of time, but even if you don't, it's still not a daunting task. Briny olives perk up the mellow flavor of brown rice and beans. Serve a simple green salad or a platter of tomatoes and pineapple, or sliced seedless oranges. Delicious with garlic-sautéed greens. Recipe adapted from Plant Power by Nava Atlas; photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Spanish-Style Rice and Red Beans
- 1 ¼ cups uncooked brown rice see note
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons broth or water
- 1 large yellow or red onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 ½ cups cooked or two 15- to 16-ounce cans drained and rinsed small red beans
- 1 ½ cups diced ripe tomato
- ¾ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives chopped
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning more or less to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Combine the rice with 2 ½ cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently and steadily, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. If you’d like a more tender grain, add another ½ cup water and cook until absorbed. This step can be done ahead.
- Shortly before serving, add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion just begins to brown.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet along with the remaining ingredients except the last two. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until everything is well heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in half of the cilantro. Pass around the remaining cilantro to top individual servings.
Note: Try this with brown basmati rice for extra flavor and aroma; or use an exotic rice blend for extra color and flavor.
Per serving: 334 calories; 6g fat; 59g carbs; 12g fiber; 13g protein; 333mg sodium