This simple side dish comes together very quickly if you have cooked quinoa on hand in the refrigerator. For even faster prep, use bagged shredded carrots and break the speed limit. Recipe from Quinoa: High Protein, Gluten-Free* by Beth Geisler with recipes by Jo Stepaniak, @2014 Books Alive, Summertown, TN, reprinted by permission. Photo by Andrew Schmidt.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, optional
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, plus more if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
Put the quinoa, carrots, cilantro, and optional lemon zest in a medium bowl. Drizzle with the oil and lemon juice and sprinkle with the cayenne and optional paprika. Toss gently but thoroughly until well combined.
Taste and adjust all of the seasonings if desired. Serve immediately or thoroughly chilled.
Per Serving (without optional ingredients): 270.4 calories; 13.1g fat; 42mg sodium; 197.3mg potassium; 34.9g carbs; 4.8g fiber; 2.8g sugar; 6.7g protein
- Here are more quinoa recipes.
- Get more carrots into your life!
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.
* This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!