I especially like this sprightly pasta salad made with orecchiette (“little ears”), a small, delicate pasta, but you can use any short pasta shape you'd like. Use very slender asparagus and you won’t need to scrape the stalks. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Spring Pasta Salad with Asparagus and Fresh Peas
- 8 ounces orecchiette tri-color rotini, or other short pasta shape
- 8 ounces slender asparagus
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas lightly steamed (or frozen peas if fresh are unavailable)
- 15- ounce can artichoke hearts drained and quartered
- 1 large carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente.
- At the last minute, plunge the asparagus and peas into the simmering water with the pasta and cook for just a minute or so.
- Drain the pasta, asparagus, and peas in a colander and rinse under cool water, then drain well again.
- Combine the pasta, asparagus, and peas with the remaining ingredients in a large serving bowl. Toss gently and thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed, or serve at once.
Per serving: Calories: 199; Total fat: 6g; Protein: 6g; Carbs: 31g; Sodium: 56mg
Here are more: