I first made these delicious peppers for a New Year’s Eve party and they were a huge hit! Featuring a meaty-tasting seitan and hearty brown rice stuffing, these beautiful bell peppers satiate omnivores and vegans alike. Ready for the oven in under 20 minutes, these six-ingredient wonders are equally ideal for a holiday party or weeknight supper. Recipe from Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet. Published by Jazzy Vegetarian LLC, © 2015, reprinted by permission. Photos by David Kaplan.
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 1 jar (about 28 ounces) vegan marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 packages (16 ounces) Italian flavored crumbled or ground seitan (see note)
- 2 cups cooked and cooled long-grain brown rice (see note)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning blend (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice about one inch off the top of each pepper. Seed the peppers.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of the marinara sauce and the 2 teaspoons of olive oil (optional) evenly over the bottom of a casserole that’s large and deep enough to hold all the peppers snugly so they remain upright during baking.
- Put the seitan, brown rice and all-purpose seasoning in a large bowl and stir well until combined. Stir in 2⁄3 cup marinara sauce and mix to combine.
- Spoon one-sixth of the seitan mixture into each pepper, mounding it, if necessary. Spoon 2 heaping teaspoons of the marinara sauce over each pepper. Carefully position the peppers in the casserole so they will remain upright while baking.
- Cover and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the peppers are tender but not mushy. Let cool for 7 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve the peppers with tricolor pasta on the side and topped with some of the sauce that has accumulated at the bottom of the casserole. Put the remaining sauce in a gravy boat or small bowl to pass around at the table.
You may use unflavored, ground seitan in place of the Italian flavored variety. If using unflavored seitan, add an additional heaping teaspoon of all-purpose seasoning or Italian seasoning blend to the filling mixture before stuffing the peppers.
You may pre-cook the rice up to 48 hours ahead of making this recipe. Store it tightly covered in the refrigerator until use.
Per serving, based on 6 servings: 307 Calories; 6g Fat; 24g Protein; 868mg Sodium; 40g Carbs; 2g Sugars; 2g Fiber
JAZZY VEGETARIAN Season FIVE
Premieres MAY 4TH, 2016 on the CREATE Network!
TASTE Award-Winning Season! “Best Health and Fitness Program, Food and Diet”
Filled with fabulous, “ved-ucational” guests, and plenty of jazzy-licious, plant-based recipes!
Jazzy Vegetarian SEASON FIVE, starring Laura Theodore, premieres MAY 4th, 2016 on the CREATE Network! The award-winning season is filled with fabulous, “ved-ucational” guests, and plenty of jazzy-licious, plant-based recipes. From Sunday Brunch to a Garden-Fresh Dinner, Laura Theodore cooks healthy, delicious food for family and friends.
Beginning May 4th, Jazzy Vegetarian airs on CREATE every Wednesday (8:30AM EST and 2:30PM EST) and Sunday (8:30 AM EST). Learn more about the show here.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!