There’s something really satisfying about filled pastas like tortellini or ravioli, especially now that there are several vegan varieties to choose from. Combined with summer’s ripe tomatoes and basil, they are the basis of a delicious main dish salad. Look for them in the freezer section of natural foods stores.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 8- to 12-ounce package vegan frozen tortellini
(vegetable- or tofu-filled)
- 1 cup finely diced slender asparagus
or 1 cup unthawed frozen green peas
- 2 heaping cups finely chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 2 pounds ripe, lush summer tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup cured pitted black olives, sliced
- Sliced fresh basil leaves as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Begin cooking the tortellini according to package directions. When they’re done, plunge the broccoli and asparagus or peas into the water. Cook for no longer than 1 minute longer, until the veggies are bright green. Drain and rinse under cool water.
Combine in a large shallow serving bowl with the remaining ingredients. Toss together gently. Serve at room temperature.
- Here are more pasta salad recipes.