There are many variations on tortilla soup, a southwestern classic. The common denominator is a crisp corn tortilla garnish. This veggie-filled rendition is a light and pleasant way to begin a meal with a southwestern theme — try it with vegan quesadillas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ medium green bell pepper finely diced
- ½ cup quinoa
- 32- ounce carton vegetable broth
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash diced
- 14- to 16- ounce can diced tomatoes try fire-roasted
- 1 to 2 small hot fresh chili peppers seeded and minced, or one 4- or 8- ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until they are golden.
- Add the bell pepper, quinoa, and broth. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat and cover. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the tortillas into strips about ½ inch wide by 1 ½ inches long. Heat a large skillet (spray with a little cooking oil spray or wipe it down with a little olive oil) and add the tortilla strips. Toast on the skillet over medium-high heat, turning frequently, until dry and crisp, then remove to a plate to cool.
- Stir the squash, tomatoes, chiles, cumin, and oregano into the soup.
- Continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the quinoa and squash are tender. Season with salt and pepper. If you wish, let the soup stand for an hour or two before serving, then heat through when needed.
- When ready to serve, divide about half of the tortilla strips among 6 serving bowls and ladle some soup into each. Garnish each serving with the remaining tortilla strips. Serve at once.
Per serving: Calories: 117; Total fat: 3g; Protein: 3g; Fiber: 3.2g; Carbs: 19g; Sodium: 141mg
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.