Don’t let the number of ingredients stop you—this Vegetarian Biryani Rice recipe is easy to make, and its amazing scents deserve the effort.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 large onions sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp biryani curry paste or other Indian curry paste
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 3 seeds cardamom crushed
- 2 stars anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cup brown basmati rice
- 2 small hot peppers chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Roast the cashews, stirring until golden brown. Remove them with a spoon. Add 1 cup onions and roast for about 10 minutes, until golden and crisp. Remove and add them to the cashews.
- In the same saucepan add garlic, curry paste, ginger, salt, cumin, and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Add ¾ cup vegetable broth and ⅛ cup yogurt; lower heat, cover and simmer, about 25 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until sauce is thick, about 15 minutes. Add the rest of the yogurt and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, bring remaining broth, salt, cardamom seeds, anise stars, and cinnamon stick to a boil. Add the rice, lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the liquid is completely absorbed—about 25 minutes.
- Remove the cardamom seeds, anise stars, and cinnamon stick from the rice. Spread the rice in a baking dish. Add the curry sauce and cover with greased aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350°F until warm and liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with onions and cashews.