Don’t let the number of ingredients stop you—this Vegetarian Biryani Rice recipe is easy to make, and its amazing scents deserve the effort.
Vegetarian Biryani Rice
Don’t let the number of ingredients stop you—this Vegetarian Biryani Rice recipe is easy to make, and its amazing scents deserve the effort.Print Pin Rate Email
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 large onions sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp biryani curry paste or other Indian curry paste
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 3 seeds cardamom crushed
- 2 stars anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cup brown basmati rice
- 2 small hot peppers chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Roast the cashews, stirring until golden brown. Remove them with a spoon. Add 1 cup onions and roast for about 10 minutes, until golden and crisp. Remove and add them to the cashews.
- In the same saucepan add garlic, curry paste, ginger, salt, cumin, and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Add ¾ cup vegetable broth and ⅛ cup yogurt; lower heat, cover and simmer, about 25 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until sauce is thick, about 15 minutes. Add the rest of the yogurt and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, bring remaining broth, salt, cardamom seeds, anise stars, and cinnamon stick to a boil. Add the rice, lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the liquid is completely absorbed—about 25 minutes.
- Remove the cardamom seeds, anise stars, and cinnamon stick from the rice. Spread the rice in a baking dish. Add the curry sauce and cover with greased aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350°F until warm and liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with onions and cashews.
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 682mg | Potassium: 214mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 915IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Leave a Reply