Adding summer fruit like watermelon and peaches (or nectarines) to a classic tomato gazpacho works surprisingly well. The sweet and piquant flavors play off of one another in this palate-pleaser. Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 cup coarsely chopped pitted watermelon
- ½ medium red bell pepper
- ⅔ large cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 scallions, green parts only, cut into several pieces
- Handful of cilantro or parsley sprigs
To finish the soup:
- ⅓ large cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes (red and/or yellow)
- 2 cups finely diced pitted watermelon
- 2 medium ripe peaches or nectarines
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon or lime, to taste
- 1 small fresh hot chili (serrano, jalapeño, or the like),
seeded and minced, or dried hot red pepper flake to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs or other fresh herb for garnish, optional
Place the first six (base) ingredients in a food processor. Puree until fairly smooth.
Transfer the puree to a serving container. Add the remaining ingredients and stir together. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Garnish each serving with thyme or other fresh herbs, if desired.
- Get refreshed with more Cold Summer Soups.