Here’s an old standby that never fails to please — a savory spread based on creamy white beans, accentuated with sun-dried tomatoes. Serve with raw vegetables and crispbreads. Make the sliceable version of Smoky Cheddar Cheez and serve with crisp red grapes for a lovely array of appetizers. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
White Bean and Sun-Dried Tomato Pâté
Here's a savory spread based on creamy white beans, accentuated with sun-dried tomatoes. Serve with raw vegetables and crispbreads.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- One 15- to 16-ounce can canellini or great northern beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup oil-cured sun-dried tomatoes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and sauté over moderate heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is just beginning to brown.
- Combine the onion mixture with all the remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper in the container of a food processor and process until completely smooth. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of water or so, to loosen the consistency. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pat into an attractive shallow crock to serve. Place on a large platter and surround with whole-grain crackers and crispbreads.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 39mg | Potassium: 587mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 463IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: Calories: 41; Total fat: 1g; Protein: 1g; Carbs: 6g; Sodium: 2mg
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.
- Here are more vegan appetizer recipes.
Alan Chilton says
So easy to make, and an instant hit! This is a keeper.
shawn passarieu says
I actually ate the dip that was photographed by Gail Calvert Rollins and it was scrumptious! Just the right amount of seasonings, too. Paired well with crackers and veggies! Yum 🙂
How cool, Shawn! Tell Gail I said hello, and I'm glad you all enjoyed the dip.
I've been making this for about a year and I figured it was time to rave about it! This is so delicious and easy that I make it every time I'm invited anywhere and need to bring something. It's so absolutely yummy and different and it's always a hit. It's my go-to dish and I just finished making it to bring to a baby shower in a couple hours….yum!
Hey Janelle, I'm so glad you enjoy this! It has been a while since I made it myself, but I'm looking forward to bringing it back to the top of the rotation for the holidays. Thanks for your comment.
Love this recipe from when I first saw it in Celebrations! I tried to see the tofu "egg salad" recipe on the website and can't get to it.. I tried in two browsers.
Hi Ruth, so glad you found me! And for the heads up that the link to the "egg" salad link isn't working; it should be good now: http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/tofu-eggless-egg-salad/ — if you see this response, pls let me know if you still can't access it.