Here’s an old standby that never fails to please — a savory spread based on creamy white beans, accentuated with sun-dried tomatoes. Serve with raw vegetables and crispbreads. Make the sliceable version of Smoky Cheddar Cheez and serve with crisp red grapes for a lovely array of appetizers. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 15- to 16-ounce can canellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup oil-cured sun-dried tomatoes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and sauté over moderate heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is just beginning to brown.
- Combine the onion mixture with all the remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper in the container of a food processor and process until completely smooth. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of water or so, to loosen the consistency. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pat into an attractive shallow crock to serve. Place on a large platter and surround with whole-grain crackers and crispbreads.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: Calories: 41; Total fat: 1g; Protein: 1g; Carbs: 6g; Sodium: 2mg