Here’s a simple, basic stew of potatoes and lentils that gets its kick from a cool coconut yogurt dressing that’s passed around for topping. Serve with a crusty bread or fresh flatbread and a colorful kale salad for a nice cold-weather meal.
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes, well scrubbed
- ¾ cup raw lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ⅓ cups coconut yogurt
- 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons yellow or Dijon-style mustard, to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cook or microwave the potatoes in their skins until tender but still firm. When they are cool enough to handle, dice them, leaving the skins on Cook the lentils until they are tender but still hold their shape.
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and sauté over moderate heat until the onion is golden. Stir in the parsley, then remove from the heat and cover.
Combine the potato dice, lentils, and skillet mixture in a serving container. Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk together. Pour over the potato-lentil mixture and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Serve warm.
- Here are more recipes for Lentils and Peas.
- Here are more Warming Winter Soups.
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.
Leave a Reply