Here's a tasty salad to make when zucchini and tomatoes are abundant in late summer. Red onions, parsley, and olives add great flavor. I prefer Roma tomatoes in this salad, as their slices match the zucchini and they get less watery when standing, but use any ripe tomatoes you have available. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Zucchini, Tomato, and Red Onion Salad
Here's a tasty salad to make when zucchini and tomatoes are abundant in late summer. Red onions, parsley, and olives add great flavor.Print Pin Rate Email
- 2 small zucchinis about ½ pound total, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Roma plum tomatoes, sliced, or ripe tomatoes, diced
- ½ medium or ¼ large red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced pitted black olives preferably cured (like Kalamata)
- Leaves from several sprigs fresh thyme or oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens or a combination of arugula and radicchio
- Combine all the ingredients except the greens in a mixing bowl. Toss together.
- Arrange the greens on a serving platter. Mound the salad over the lettuce, then serve.
Calories: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 1088mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 489IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 823mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per serving: Calories: 81; Total fat: 2g; Protein: 1g; Carbs: 5g; Sodium: 44mg
- Enjoy VegKitchen’s selection of recipes for zucchini and other summer squashes.
- Here are more recipes for colorful green salads.
- Explore lots more summer tomato recipes.
Leave a Reply