This simple preparation of zucchini with mint is adapted from a Sicilian classic. It's welcome in late summer or early fall, when both are abundant. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 long, narrow, medium zucchinis, 1 to 1 ½ pounds total
- 1 to 2 scallions, as desired, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or natural granulated sugar, more or less to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves, or more, to taste
Cut the zucchinis into ⅛-inch-thick slices. Combine in a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients except the mint, and toss together.
Cover and refrigerate for an hour before serving. If you'd like, arrange in overlapping concentric circles as shown, or just let the zucchini slices fall where they may. Just before serving, stir in the mint.
Per serving: Calories: 22; Total fat: 0g; Protein: 0g; Carbs 5g; Sodium: 2mg
- Enjoy VegKitchen’s selection of recipes for zucchini and other summer squashes.