“Easy as pie” surely does fit this 6-ingredient vegan pie — a luscious combination of apples and cranberries, perfect for fall. If you love the tart burst of healthy fresh cranberries, you’re sure to love this pie. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 4 heaping cups peeled and thinly sliced sweet apple
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 9-inch prepared vegan pastry crust, preferably whole grain
- Prepared granola for topping (1/3 to ½ cup, or as desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- If you enjoy the tart flavor of cranberries, leave them whole, as shown in the photos. If you’d like a less pronounced tart flavor, place them in a food processor and pulse on and off until finely chopped. That way, their tartness will be tempered by a more even mingling with the apples.
- Combine the whole or chopped cranberries with the apples, syrup, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Pour into the crust and bake for 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the fruit is tender.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the granola, and allow to cool to room temperature before serving. Cut into 6 to 8 wedges to serve.