Lentils with Spinach and Dried Tomatoes
Keep a few cans of organic canned lentils handy to use when you want to make a meal with this nourishing legume in a hurry. To make this dish a little fancier, try using beluga lentils — these small, gleaming black lentils contrast attractively with the spinach and dried tomatoes.
Serves: 4, as a side dish
- 8 to 10 ounces baby spinach
- Two 15-ounce cans lentils, drained and
rinsed (try using beluga lentils if available)
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, with about 2 tablespoons of their oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1/2 cup minced fresh dill or parsley, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Rinse the spinach and remove any longer stems, if you’d like. Place in a medium skillet with just enough water to keep the bottom moist. Steam until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain into a colander, and press out excess liquid.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and stir together. Warm until well heated, then stir in the spinach. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
Variation: Replace all or part of the spinach with baby arugula.Print This Post