Black Bean and Avocado Salad with Oranges or Mango
Black beans, diced mango, and avocado taste heavenly together in this delicious salad. Fresh, perfectly ripe mangos are best, of course, but they’re not always in season and occasionally unreliable. Once in a while I like to take the guesswork out of mangos and use canned (organic), which is akin to using canned pineapple—you know exactly what you’re going to get. Otherwise, tiny clementine sections work well to give little bursts of fruity flavor.
- One 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium mango (or one 15- to 16-ounce can, drained), cut into 1/2 inch dice,
or 2 to 3 tiny seedless oranges, like clementines
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, as desired
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice, to taste
- Minced fresh cilantro to taste, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens or baby spinach, optional
Combine all the ingredients except the baby greens or spinach in a mixing bowl and stir together.
If you’d like, arrange a bed of greens or spinach on a platter and arrange the bean salad on top of it. Otherwise, serve straight from the bowl.
Per serving: 174 calories; 10g fat; 175mg sodium; 18g carbs; 6g fiber; 5g protein