Dilled Red Beans with Pickled Beets
This colorful, subtly sweet-sour bean dish provides a nice contrast to mild pasta, potato, or grain dishes.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage or precut coleslaw
- One 28-ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed
- One 12-ounce jar sliced pickled beets, drained
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or more, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until limp.
Add the cabbage and continue to sauté until it and the onion are golden.
Stir in the beans, beets, vinegar and dill. Continue to cook over medium heat just until everything is well heated through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Here are more easy bean main dishes.